Thursday, June 12, 2014

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

It's quite a title at Roger Friedman's Showbiz 411"How Jerry Seinfeld's Ex Girlfriend Owns Six Beatles Songs."  It's not much of a story, though, when you think about it. As any true Beatles fan know, some of their earliest songs weren't put out originally on Capitol Records in the US, as the people in charge (mostly Dave Dexter, Jr.) felt their stuff wouldn't make it over here, so these songs legal status are a bit different.

Nevertheless, lets look at the first two paragraphs of the piece:

If this were a Seinfeld episode it would be called “How the Ex Girlfriend Came to Own Six Beatles Songs.” Yes, it seems that through a quirk of history, timing and legal maneuvering six very early Beatles hits are not part of the much vaunted Lennon-McCartney catalog at Sony/ATV Music Publishing. And now they belong, at least for now, to Josh Gruss, husband of ex-Jerry Seinfeld girlfriend Shoshanna Lonstein. Strange, but true.



The songs are “I Saw Her Standing There,” “I Feel Fine,” “I Wanna Be Your Man,” “She Loves You,” “From Me to You,” “Misery,” and “There’s a Place.” The songs were never part of the regular catalog because they were from the Beatles’ early and brief stay on VeeJay Records circa 1962. Last year, surprisingly, the owner of the song sold them for an unknown amount to tiny, new music publisher Round Hill Music.

Hmm, six hits.  "I Saw Her Standing There," "I Feel Fine," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "She Loves You," "From Me To You," "Misery," and "There's A Place."  Sure seems like seven to me.



Roger, I'm gonna help you out. "I Feel Fine" is out of place on this list. It was created more than a year later than the other songs. By the time the Beatles recorded it in late '64, they were the top act in America and Capitol couldn't wait to release it.  But really, you didn't need to know that.  You just needed to know how to count to seven.

PS  I wrote this a few days ago, so we'll see if Roger pays attention and fixes it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter