Monday, January 26, 2015

Street Talk

I was standing outside a movie theatre over the weekend when I saw American Sniper was letting out.  I heard some people talking about it.  One woman said "that was, like, the best ending ever."

In case you didn't know, the film ends with Chris Kyle going off to be shot by a marine he was trying to help. So I couldn't help but think this woman was pretty cold.  Until I figured out she was referring to Whiplash, also letting out then. Now that film had a memorable ending.

By the way, with AS becoming such a phenomenon, I wonder if it's going to effect the Oscar race. It's by far the biggest hit nominated, and just as the voting is going on, everyone's talking about it. Mostly I wonder if Michael Keaton, who probably figured the Oscar was in the bag, is starting to wonder.  For that matter, are the Boyhood people starting to wonder if they're in trouble?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, two spoilers in one. Whiplash did have a great ending, nice movie.

What did you think of "Cake" and its very final moment? I liked it, ColumbusGal did not as much. But then she liked the movie and I was a bit cooler on it.

2:46 AM, January 26, 2015  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Maybe half a spoiler, if that.

Didn't see Cake, and it's not high on my list. Besides, I just saw Still Alice and I can only take so many of these illness movies.

3:30 AM, January 26, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have seen American Sniper but I don't like the boosters for it.

10:28 AM, January 26, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to take shots to see American Sniper?

11:47 AM, January 26, 2015  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Guess I'll go ahead and sign in.

The hero going off to be shot at the end (with the motivation of the killer or at least his identity even tossed in) does not qualify as a spoiler? I give you points for bluster.

I might give you half a spoiler-if that for the photo, I just want to know, at what point in the movie does that scene occur? It sure looks familiar, and I'll bet the young lady you overheard would recognize it, too.

2:04 PM, January 26, 2015  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The story of Chris Kyle is true, and if you know anything about him aside from the fact he was a sniper, you know he was killed by a Marine he was trying to help. It's not really a big moment in the movie (in fact, it's not shown) and is not really what the movie is about. Calling it even half a spoiler is too kind.

Whiplash is about a young man who wants to be a great drummer and the teacher at his school who is impossibly demanding. I did choose a photo from the last scene, but pretty much every scene with these two looks like the photo I posted.

2:28 PM, January 26, 2015  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

I didn't realize spoilers had to pass a Weltanschauung test to be spoilers.

I'll give you that the whole movie looked like that, and still what a remarkable movie it was.

(Maybe you should reconsider and give that movie about the guy driving a chance.)

5:36 PM, January 26, 2015  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'd see that film about the guy driving (Locke) except someone spoiled it for me.

5:40 PM, January 26, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter