Saturday, January 31, 2015

Thin-slicing

I was in the library and saw Malcolm Gladwell's decade-old bestseller Blink: The Power Of Thinking Without Thinking on the table.  I'd never read it.

I picked it up and almost immediately realized it's not for me.

Speaking of disappointing books, let me mention John Water's Carsick. It purports to be the story of how the well-known director hitchhiked across the United States.  I've liked his previous biographical stuff, and this sounded like it could be fun.

Turned out, however, that more than half the book is two fictional versions of the trip--his best and worst case scenarios. The subtitle is John Waters Hitchhikes Across America.  If they believed in truth in advertising, they would have added Mostly In His Mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter