Friday, April 24, 2015

Statistics on display

I couldn't help but think of LAGuy today as I watched a television screen at my favorite coffee shop.

A Brendan Fraser "Mummy" movie (anyway, something with Brendan Fraser, period costumes and a sarcophagus) was on, stifled, with closed captioning.

And I swear, it was as if a tribe of monkeys was typing it, lots of t's and x's and spaces and random punctuation, with nearly none of the near-words intelligible, either singly or in context, since you rarely got two of them visible at the same time. Of 100 word-efforts that I must have seen, I don't think a single one was typed correctly. Hard as it may be to believe, I think it was actually slightly worse than if I had been typing it.

All in all, it was an awesome display.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats just how Brendan sounds

2:32 PM, April 24, 2015  
Blogger LAGuy said...

For a movie like The Mummy I assume there'd be professional, pre-set captions. Sometimes if the TV isn't tuned in properly it screws them up.

Speaking of CC, I was watching The Comedians last night. Josh Gad made a face and Billy Crystal said he looked like a Chasidic gorilla. Then he called him Hy Silverback, which the caption typist interpreted as "High Silverback," sort of missing the joke.

3:08 PM, April 24, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter